Monday, May 28, 2007

The retroactive Cairns Post


About a week after the fact...I'll throw you guys a bone and put up some pics from Cairns.



This is the Lagoon, which is a saltwater public swimming pool right next to the ocean. Its free to use. The only thing I paid for was a locker to store my camera and the such while I flaunted my new bod around the pool (see the GBR photos post...stop laughing.) On a side note...those electronic lockers are sweet.



Back in the day (1956ish) the Olympic torch came to Cairns on its way to Melbourne for the Olympic Games. Here's the commemorative statue.



Along the Cairns beach there is a danger of crocodiles. I did the only thing a brave tourist can do in these situations: take a picture of the warning sign. I was actually kind of disappointed that I didn't see a crocodile because I wanted to take a pic, but looking back on it, thats kind of like being sad that the IRS didn't call you in for an audit because you wanted to have a chat with someone.




The fabulous Cairns beach! The tide was possibly just way, way, way out. But, I figure these mudflats are slightly more permanent then that.



Captain Cook orders you to stop for a meal.



Reflection Flame and Garden. This was a nice memorial to the various branches of the Australian military as well as police, fire, and ambluance workers.




Because its been to long on this blog without a Styx reference..."Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me."



And we'll close out with some Aboriginal art that was on the side of a shop along the beachfront. Aboriginal art is pretty cool, and looking at a few galleries was a fun experience whilst in Cairns.

Enjoy the pics,

Alan

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home