Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Thongs

First off, if you're on Facebook, and don't join this group, I'm going to be sad.

Students Against Alan Hoffmann Being Eaten By Kangaroos.

It might be an SIUC only group, but the concern is appreciated.

So, here's your first bit of Australian slang: thongs. While down here I've been asked why I don't wear them, have heard people be advised not to wear them to a party, and have seen more of them then I ever thought possible.

Of course, I'm talking about sandals.

Considering its a balmy 30 degrees outside today, and is likely to be in the high 20s to low 30s for awhile (think Celsius, people!) I decided to buck with my normal anti-sandal ways and buy a pair. They were cheap (12 bucks) and are fairly comfortable. I put them on half way through my walk back to the Ressies and was amazed at how nice it felt.

Of course, this bit of terminology is still a bit weird to me, leading to this quasi-awkward (for me) conversation with the woman at the register.

Her: So, whats your mailing code?
Me: (thinking, thinking pulls out wallet to look) Sorry, I'm an international student, I forgot it.
Her: No worries.
Me: 2507.
Her: Where you from?
Me: The states.
Her: Is this your first pair of thongs?
Me: (trying not to giggle, because I'm obviously 12 years old) Yeah.

Then it was off to the grocery store for some supplies, including Peach Tea. I haven't seen this in the States, but I haven't looked for it either. Its basically what it sounds like, tea with peach flavoring. I had this on the airplane, and I think it changed my life.

I feel like you need to know these things.

Other notes...

~I have class three days a week. This is what is known as awesome.

~Have not heard back from the rugby club, but have from the Ultimate Frisbee team. Going to throw with them tomorrow.

~Rugby jersies are just as expensive as anyother sports jersey. An Eels one goes for about $120. I've decided to become an Eels supporter because, lets face it, that nickname is awesome. I bought an Eels polo, in which I look quite dashing.

Cheers!

Alan

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Ok, so many good things about this post.
1. You still think that "thong sandals" are funny.
2. Buying and wearing sandals is pretty amazing, yes, I am jealous.
3. School only three days a week, reminds me of my last year. Reality bites.
4. Ultimate Frisbee! Do it! It makes me happy to know you are playing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home