Thursday, June 07, 2007

Exams

**Note, this somewhat has to do with Australia, but it could be about education in general. Enjoy.**

I had my first exam yesterday. So here's a timeline of how the day unfolded.

9:00. Wake up. I heart college.

9:30. As I eat breakfast, that part of my mind that forgets things poses the question, "Are you sure your exam is at 2 and not 9?"

9:45. In no hurry to get a good grade, I finally check OSIS. Exam is at 2.

10:00-11:30. Study a bit more, say the phrase "I got this down," 19 times. Repeat Kalle Lasn at least 20 times so I remember her name for my essay on culture jamming.

11:30-12:00. Surf Internet, play solitare.

12:30. Go to library to check e-mail I can't check in dorm.

1:00. Go buy some chips (thats Aussie for fries) and some gum. Consider this lunch.

1:30. Head up to the gym. Yes, the gym. For exam. Pass by UniBar.

1:31-1:33. Seriously debate going into UniBar and getting a shot of something, just for fun. Ultimatley decide this would be a bad idea.

1:40. Arrive at gym. We're not allowed in yet. Make small talk with classmates. One of my friends is taking the same approach I am (the winging it approach) and we're doing the same questions. Awesome.

1:45. We're allowed into the gym. Here's how its laid out. In the gym, there are rows upon rows of desks, all with test booklets on them. There are four classes taking their exam at this time. So, you go to the quadrant thats assigned to you. At the front of this giant hall is a podium. Thats where the Offical Exam Lady Person (probably not her real title) gives instructions. This was the first time I had ever been intimidated by an exam. Really, its not a stress free environment. Your in this huge room, that despite being full of people is very empty, and there's a person giving out instructions in a rather monotone way. For some reason the scene reminded me of "Brave New World" (minus the sex), but that might have been because I ran across the word Huxleyan earlier in the day.

2:00 START WRITING! GO! GO! GO!

2:40. I finish essay #1 where I feel I made several valid points comparing the Luddite movement of the 1300s to globalistation today.

2:45. After regaining feeling in my hand, I write essay #2. GO! GO! GO!

3:15. I make not as valid points on culture assertiveness. I rambled on about sports and how it relates to culture. Perhaps that shot would have been a good idea, I think. No, it wouldn't have been, I argue back. Only 45 minutes to go...essay #3.

3:17 KALLE LASN! I remebered her name, and I use it in the essay. I am Essay Writing Odin.

3:45. As I am wrapping up my self-acclaimed brilliant essay on culture jamming, they give the 15 minute warning, which means you are no longer allowed to leave the exam room.

3:50. I finish my exam. I have to sit there. I draw ducks in the exam booklet out of sheer boredom. I think to myself, "This is 10 minutes in Australia I will never get back."

4:00 STOP WRITING! Then have to sit while all exams are collected. There's another five minutes gone.

This part baffled me the most about the process. Whats so special about the last fifteen minutes that you can't just up and leave? Thats one of the reasons I love college over high school (one amongst many) is that once your done with a test, you can just leave. Not so in Australia.

Thats about it for the exam day. Kind of a weird experience, but nothing to bad. Got one more to go. I'll remember to finish with more than 15 minutes to go this time.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Ike said...

I like that you have a label for "pure ownage." How come the GBR post isn't under that label? You owned those fish!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home