Sunday, June 17, 2007

Adelaide: Day 3 or I am officially a curse to my teams

Low key day in the SA capital today. I walked along the Torrens River, which is not as developed as Melbourne's Yarra. It was a quiet walk, but not a lot to look at and experience.

After a quick lunch and a call home, it was off to AAMI Stadium for the Bombers-Port Adelaide match. AAMI is smaller than the MCG by a lot, and there weren't as many booths lining the outside of the stadium either. Also, it was a good thing I took some money out of my account to go to the game, as every walk up window was cash only.

I explored the stadium a bit, and its a nice facility, but an old one. Got a picture of the gnome infront of the goals. All is good.

Then the bounce happened...

Unlike the last game, where Essendon blew a 48 point lead, they decided it would be fun to spot Port Adelaide a 60 point lead and see what happened. The result: a 31 point drubbing which was only that close because the Bombers kicked 6 goals in the final quarter. For those of you keeping score at home, the teams I support are 1-6 when I am in attendence.

So, the Brumbies, Eels, and Bombers can breathe a huge sigh of relief: I'm out of the country for awhile.

I would like to point out something about Australian sports fans: they don't really talk trash. I was all decked out in Bombers gear today, and before the game, during the drubbing, and on the way back to the bus, no one said anything to me. It was weird, and kind of refreshing as well.

The same thing happened after the Essendon-Carlton match, and the two Eels games I took in. No one said a word. Remember that the next time some 300 pound drunk guy is yelling insults at you because you had the nerve to wear the road team's colors to an NFL game.

And since you're dying to know: the Wallabies lost last night, 22-19. They had their chances, but could not finish off South Africa, mostly because they couldn't find touch on their kicks (kicking it out of bounds to relieve pressure) and dumb handling errors. Alan's Rugby Lesson of the Day: If you're playing South Africa, one of the best teams in the world, make sure your kicks reach touch and you don't have any handling errors.

I hope the USA Eagles read this site, as the Springbocks are in our pool for the Rugby World Cup.

BONUS: Julian Huxley was one of the Wallabies who put on a poor kicking preformance. So, when the whole pub groaned in unison:Ah, Julian!" it was just like a Brumbies game!

Anyways, back to Canberra tomorrow. Pictures will be up, but maybe not then. We'll see.

G'night,

Alan

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home