Friday, June 15, 2007

Adelaide: Day 1

(slaps forehead)

Alright, so I came down to Adelaide with digitcal camera and computer connector in hand. I find a nice Internet cafe. And guess what...its USB port is not equipped to handle my camera. I can view photos, but transfer the data? Nope. So, you lucky readers will get a nice retroactive post when I return to Canberra.

At any rate, day 1 was getting to know Adelaide. Adelaide kind of reminds me of Melbourne, in the fact that there's a nice combo of new and old architecture. Adelaide also has a bunch of Churches. I think I read somewhere that its the City of Churches. I even found a Church of Scientology, though that building was not nearly as magnificent as some of the others.

Today I toured the Bradman Collection, which is Sir Donald Bradman's personal cricket collection, on display at the South Australia Library. Basically, here's the equation. Bradman + cricket = pure ownage. Get this, in the 40s, the Poms (British) developed a new style of bowling to counter Bradman, but it was also really dangerous (basically throwing at the batsmen) Even though it reduced his run rate during the tour, Bradman's run average during the tests was still higher than any Australian cricketers average lifetime.

After walking around some more, I came across the Nation Wine Centre. I want to work there. I'm going to become a backpacker, come to Adelaide, and work there. Their collection is impressive, and the wine is very, very delicious.

Also today were stops at the Adelaide Cricket Oval. Cricket grounds are beautiful, think old school baseball stadiums. Even Safeco Field, which has charm to it, is still a sleek, corporate-ish building. If we ever build cricket fields in the States, I hope we follow this tradition.

Also, the War Memorial in Adelaide is very moving, something I'll go into more detail when I post pictures.

More news tomorrow...unless I'm to busy watching the Wallabies.

Alan

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home