Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Kangaroos...a different prespective



As I said in one of my previous posts, I came across kangaroo meat while in the grocery store. Considering that the animal is on the national coat of arms the only sensible thing to do was to purchase it and eat it.

Of course, when confronted with a new food, there's the inevtiable question of how to cook it. Is there a special way to prepare kangaroo? Is there an Aussie recipie that people really like?

I asked the people on my floor about this, and the general consensus was..."I don't know, I've never had it."

Since kangaroo looks an awful lot like a steak, this left me with one option. Put some oil in a frying pan and have a go for it. This was the suggested way of doing it anyway.

Kangaroo cooks fairly fast (especially if you're like me and you like your meat to be a bit on the rare side) and in no time I was eating a national symbol.

So how was it? It was amazing. I didn't put any sauce or merinade on it. A little salt, but thats it. So, I was getting the full intended flavor of kangaroo. Its very juicy, has a good tender flavor to it. It tasted pretty much like a steak, which is good because as my friends might know, I have a fondness for a good steak.

The meat was fairly inexpensive, it was easy to cook, and to top that off, it tasted really good. Thats a triple win in my book.

Plus, as I just found out, its good for you! Quadruple win!

Kangaroo steak has CLA power

The post on vegemite is coming. I might actually buy some just to relive the experience. And trust me, its an experience.

Alan

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home