Friday, March 23, 2007

Sydney: Day 1

Technically, 1.5 since I got in yesterday. I'll skip over that for now and just some it up with the phrase "best pasta dish I have ever had, period." then we'll do a retroactive post when I get back to Canberra.

We'll also be doing a retroactive post because of the conversation I had with myself in my dorm room.

Me: Do I really need to wire that connects my camera to the computer?

Me: Well, I am thinking that leaving my laptop here is the safest thing to do. So, no, I don't think I need.

Me: Damn, the Salukis lost.

Me: I owe you 20 bucks.

(BTW: There will be an upcoming post on following the tournament and/or your favorite team while abroad. Since this blog is about the entire experience, I figure I have some good stories that aren't directly related to Australia.)

Today, I woke up at 8:00 and then waited for the two girls in my room (hostels, I have since decided, are awesome more or less for this reason) to get done in the bathroom. True to the stereotype, I ended up showering at 9:30.

After checking the e-mail at an Internet cafe (meaning had I brought that wire, you could all see pics...please keep your snide comments to yourselves) I took the train down to Sydney Harbour.

The train system here is fairly extensive. Its like the L in Chicago only with clean trains and more stops. (That's not really an insult Chicagolanders. These trains here were probably upgraded in 2000 for the Olympics, and are going to be cleaner anyway.)

Most of the train goes underground, so Sydney for the most part looks like a black tunnel. Until you come to Sydney Harbour Bridge. Stunning vies as you cross it. The Harbour is pristine. I've never been to San Diego, but I would think its something like that.

As I looked out the window across from me, I saw the Sydney Opera House for the first time. Let me tell you, you see the pictures, maybe videos of it. And you think that it looks neat. When you see it for the first time...its awe inspiring. The building is amazing. Its beautiful, perfect for the setting (especially when the various boats in the harbour go past, that's when the sail motif really sets in)

There was an open market going on at the base of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I bought a photo of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge at twilight. Its pretty cool. After mingling in the market some more, I headed out across the bridge. At a normal pace, this walk takes about 25 minutes. Once on the other side (this is the side with the opera house) I walked around The Rocks. This is where the original city is, and the brick and stone buildings offer a neat contrast to the sleek skyscrapers behind them.

The Rocks are also the site of the original white settlement in Australia. Which made me wonder why the English arrived here first. Wouldn't they have landed in Perth or Western Australia first? I'll look into it.

Got lunch down here at an Asian cafe. Even used chopsticks. Good times all around.

Down by the wharf, on your way to the opera house, there are a bunch of little shops. I had left the hostel this morning without a hat, it was warm (I did have sunscreen, but still) and so I went for it. I bought my new Australian hat. The original has served me well for six years, but its showing its age. So, I bought a new one. I'm not going to lie, I felt a little bad doing it. Almost like I was cheating on the old hat. The new one is comfortable, maybe a little nicer, and will take a little getting used to.

I got used to it pretty quickly though once I walked around the Royal Gardens. Right on the harbour, these extensive gardens are a nice quiet part of Sydney. I loved walking through here. Granted, its the weekend, but even though you can see the skyscrapers of the city, this place is almost tranquil. You can walk along the sea wall, get some nice views of the opera house, or just simply sit in the shade. Very nice, very relaxing.

After that, I came back to the hostel for a brief nap. After I woke up and came back down to the Internet cafe, a storm had rolled in and it started pouring. The new hat held up to its first, albeit brief, test. I'm just glad the rain held off until I could return home.

More coming tomorrow...maybe.

Alan

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home